10.16.2008

Little Miss Emmerson June Browne

We have finally decided on a name
~Emmerson June~
.... and it comes with a rather funny story!

As you all know, we were dead set on either Grace Sue or Lillian June. Somewhere along the line it became a pretty intense competition between Bryan and I, so at our last OBGYN appointment we decided it might be best for us to agree on a name we both love and came up with together.

So while looking at People magazine (a special edition of celebrities with kids), we came across a two page spread of all of the celebrity's babies and their names. We were making fun of all of the bazaar names, since we are so conservative we really don't tend to go for the "who can name their kid the wierdest, most unique name game"... so we were getting a kick out of all of the goofiness, like the name Apple. Who would name their kid after fruit anyways?

There was one name that I actually liked so I made a casual comment that "Emerson" was the only cute name out of all of the celebrity babies. Bryan suprisingly agreed and said he really liked it, too. After a few minutes it hit me... we had just both agreed on a name that we BOTH liked! I got really excited the more I thought of the name.... so after pondering about it for a couple of weeks, we agreed that was what we wanted to name our little princess!
Then I had to do my research to make sure the name was as solid and meaningful as it was beautiful and this is what I came up with....

Emmerson:
masculine or feminine
Derived from Emerson which is of Old German origin.
It has multiple meanings:
able
home strength
brave
powerful
The surname was borne by Ralph Waldo Emerson, an American writer and philosopher who wrote about transcendentalism in the early 1800's. The name was a very popular boy name in the early 1900's and has recently been used for both girls and boys here in America.

Since it is a unisex name, we liked spelling it with two "m"s because it made it look more feminine... it's just prettier that way! Bryan already likes the nickname "Emme". It is so much fun knowing we are going to have a daughter and planning for her arrival has been so exciting, and now we get to call her by name!

1 comment:

Jill said...

I LOVE IT! I am so like you on the conservative name thing. I always go for the old, "solid" names but I absolutely LOVE Emmerson. And, as you read from my last post, June is my grandma's name. LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

PS- Mark gives it a "thumbs up" also!