1.22.2009

A New Perspective

Our OB appointment today had a BIG surprise in store for us! The non-stress test went well. They measured the baby's heart rate and movements and everything looked fabulous; when she moved her heart rate went up just like it is supposed to. Then we had the ultrasound! They found that Emme is running a little short on amniotic fluid, but they are not overly concerned at this point. The sonographer was so sweet to get some good images and measurements for us since we were so curious as to how big Emme was. When measuring her abdomen she made a face that said one thing... 'big belly', so when I asked her if she was a chunker she said it was looking that way. When her final measurements came out to Emmerson weighing 9lbs 7oz we were all in shock and kind of laughing about it. She looked at my belly and said that wasn't right because I'm not that big, so she remeasured and got the same thing. There is a 1 pound margin of error either way, so our little angel could be anywhere from 8 1/2 to 10 1/2 pounds right now! Holy hugeness! At this point Bryan and I were amused because we had no idea our baby was going to be so huge. The ultrasound showed a full head of hair, but we didn't get a good shot of her face since she was hiding it with both hands... practicing peek-a-boo, I guess! Bryan was joking around saying that her size might be the reason why I have been so insatiable lately... I eat non-stop and this has been going on for almost a week now! And somehow I managed to lose a pound this last week. I think my monstrosity of a baby is sucking the life out of me.
After all of these tests we met with our doctor and had a good discussion for about 20 minutes about our options. All of our expectations and previous hopes are out the window because of her size and the fact that I'm only dilated 1 cm doesn't look like she has plans on arriving anytime soon and will only be getting bigger! Of course we wanted the natural labor and I was hoping we wouldn't have to induce and I hadn't even thought of the possibility of a cesarian section! Now we are forced to think about what is best for Emme and myself and decide between an attempt at a natural delivery or a c-section. We have a lot to think about before our appointment on Monday (yes, we are down to going to our doctor every 3 days!). By then we hope to have made a decision... do we risk Emme not fitting through the birth canal and causing her all that trauma or do we make it easy on her and just schedule a section? There are so many pros and cons to both sides... I'm glad we have time to think about all of this. Even though it is all a shock and not what we imagined, we are staying positive and excited to get our little girl into this world as safely as possible!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey- She is a big one...it's ok though, my friend Melissa had a10.5 lb baby dec 20. She of course had a c-section after they tried to induce her and nothing happenend. My vote is to schedule the c-section, get a goods night's rest and a good meal before, that way you are ready and energized for your beautiful baby!

The Ishiharas said...

hey girl- would love to chat with you! can't believe baby girl will be here soon! will you send me your phone number on email or call me 816-516-9950. i think you may have already sent it to me since i lost my phone, but i still haven't plugged it in my phone. But I would love to chat before Emmy gets here!

Hillary Baldwin said...

Oh my goodness!! So, your appointment was today... any decisions?! Quinn was ~ 10.5lb, and his siblings ranged from 8lb - 10.5 so I think I may have a big baby too! I was 8lb even... certainly not small! :-) Can't wait to hear the news!!